- Best Frameless Sliding Shower Doors – Key Features
- Top 8 Best Frameless Sliding Shower Doors
- Table Providing Key Specifications of the Best Frameless Sliding Shower Doors
- 1. Delta Shower Doors Semi-Frameless Traditional Sliding Shower Door in Chrome with Clear Glass
- 2. WOODBRIDGE Frameless Sliding Shower Door, Clear Tempered Glass, Brushed Nickel Finish
- 3. WOODBRIDGE Frameless Sliding Shower Door, Clear Tempered Glass, Brushed Nickel Finish
- 4. Basco Classic Sliding Shower Door, Clear Glass, Oil Rubbed Bronze Finish
- 5. KOHLER Levity Bypass Shower Door with Crystal Clear Glass in Matte Nickel
- 6. DreamLine Prime Shower Enclosure
- 7. VIGO Elan Frameless Sliding Shower Door with Clear Glass and Chrome Hardware
- 8. DreamLine Enigma-X Fully Frameless Sliding Shower Door in Brushed Stainless Steel
- Best Frameless Sliding Shower Doors
- Questions and Answers
Best Frameless Sliding Shower Doors – Key Features
A shower door has quite a definite function — that is to prevent water spatter when showering. That’s why it should provide sufficient leakproofness. Other important factors are ease and safety of use and its visual aesthetics. When choosing best frameless sliding shower door one should keep in mind the following characteristics:
- Door material.
- The way door opens.
The most popular material used in shower doors manufacture is tempered glass. Glass may be clear, translucent, colored. It may also be figured or engraved. There are cheaper plastic variants but they are less durable and highly exposed to external impacts (higher scratching probability). As a rule door hardware and fasteners are made of stainless steel. But more expensive metals may also be used. Economic variants even may employ plastic parts.
Depending on the way you open a shower door it may be:
Swing systems are easier to install and use but require more space. Sliding doors are efficiently suitable for small bathrooms due to the advantage of not going beyond the doorway. There are also harmonica-type and pivoting doors but they aren’t widely used. But if you wish you can install such doors as well which will provide your bathroom with some kind of individuality.
Shower door dimensions wholly depend on the dimensions of your bathroom and of the opening which is to be shut. The size of door wings and opening width should meet each other in order to provide leakproofness. Shower door leaves may reach the ceiling or may be lower. It depends on your personal preferences and comfort requirements.
Top 8 Best Frameless Sliding Shower Doors
- Delta Shower Doors Semi-Frameless Traditional Sliding Shower Door in Chrome with Clear Glass.
- WOODBRIDGE Frameless Sliding Shower Door, Clear Tempered Glass, Brushed Nickel Finish.
- DreamLine Visions, Frameless Sliding Shower Door, Brushed Nickel Finish.
- Basco Classic Sliding Shower Door, Clear Glass, Oil Rubbed Bronze Finish.
- KOHLER Levity Bypass Shower Door with Crystal Clear Glass in Matte Nickel.
- DreamLine Prime Shower Enclosure and Base.
- VIGO Elan Frameless Sliding Shower Door with Clear Glass and Chrome Hardware.
- DreamLine Enigma-X Fully Frameless Sliding Shower Door in Brushed Stainless Steel.
Table Providing Key Specifications of the Best Frameless Sliding Shower Doors
|Picture||Product name||Main characteristics||Price on Amazon|
|Delta Shower Doors Semi-Frameless Traditional Sliding Shower Door in Chrome with Clear Glass||Size: 50-60 in.||Check Price|
|WOODBRIDGE Frameless Sliding Shower Door, Clear Tempered Glass, Brushed Nickel Finish||Size: 56-60 in.||Check Price|
|DreamLine Visions, Frameless Sliding Shower Door, Brushed Nickel Finish||Size: 56-60 in.||Check Price|
|Basco Classic Sliding Shower Door, Clear Glass, Oil Rubbed Bronze Finish||Size: 56-60 in.||Check Price|
|KOHLER Levity Bypass Shower Door with Crystal Clear Glass in Matte Nickel||Size: 56-60 in.||Check Price|
|DreamLine Prime Shower Enclosure and Base||Size: 33-38 in.||Check Price|
|VIGO Elan Frameless Sliding Shower Door with Clear Glass and Chrome Hardware||Size: 64-68 in.||Check Price|
|DreamLine Enigma-X Fully Frameless Sliding Shower Door in Brushed Stainless Steel||Size: 56-60 in.||Check Price|
1. Delta Shower Doors Semi-Frameless Traditional Sliding Shower Door in Chrome with Clear Glass
Classic sliding semi-frameless door which due to its traditional design will suit nearly every interior. The door hardware is manufactured in three color variants — bronze, chrome, and nickel. The wings are made of tempered glass and may be both clear and partially or fully translucent. Special SpotGuard coating eases glass handling and prevents splash spots occurrence. Design of the handles which also go in three variants allows (aside from their intended use) to employ them as the additional towel bar.
During installation the door frame may be cut in order to meet the width of the opening. The frame is made of anodized aluminum which is corrosion resistant and highly strong material. Upper sliding rail has two design implementations. The door installation is rather simple but needs two men to be involved.
- Hardware color and glass texture diversity.
- Design reliability.
- Lack of the threshold may cause splash of water outwards the shower niche.
2. WOODBRIDGE Frameless Sliding Shower Door, Clear Tempered Glass, Brushed Nickel Finish
This door is made of the clear tempered glass 3/8 inch thick which is resistant to mechanical damage and scratches. It will shut the opening of the shower niche 56-60 inches wide. Sliding roller system saves space. Design solution allows to install sliding leaf both on the right and on the left side. Due to the specially designed frameless roller system, which slides over the top rail, the door opens without any noise. Handles and all the hardware are made of the high quality stainless steel. This guarantees the protection from rust.
The door should be installed against the finished walls (with ceramic tiles, stone or other material).
In case you have some skill and use the appended guidance, you can install this shower door yourself. Properly installed system will serve you for years without any specific operating conditions.
- You can install sliding leaf both on the left and on the right.
- Innovative roller system
- A bit complicated installation process.
3. WOODBRIDGE Frameless Sliding Shower Door, Clear Tempered Glass, Brushed Nickel Finish
This model consists of the four panels — two edge panels are stationary and two central doors are sliding aside. Such a design provides higher level of leakproofness of a shower niche. Total width of this shower door is 56–60 inches. Sliding panels open the walk-in opening up to 26 inches wide. Guiderails and all hardware are made of anodized aluminum and have the color called “brushed nickel”. Clear tempered glass which is 1/4 inch thick is also very light and seems to be weightless, and doesn’t overload the surrounding space.
Roller system is designed in the way which makes frame cleaning easy as much as possible. Smooth and noiseless sliding of the panels is just another unquestionable advantage of this shower door. Appended manual will let you to install the door without aid of the specialist. But keep in mind that the process will turn easier if there is two men having the appropriate tools.
- Four-panel design with two central sliding doors.
- Advanced leakproofness.
- Rather heavy construction.
4. Basco Classic Sliding Shower Door, Clear Glass, Oil Rubbed Bronze Finish
Due to its up-to-date design clear or translucent glass door will serve as a stylish element of your bathroom. Glass leaves are enclosed into the metal frame which goes in three colors — oil-rubbed bronze, brushed nickel or silver. Thanks to this diversity you can choose optimal variant which will suite specific interior.
Glass panel is installed into the metal frame which has special rails intended for leaf slide when opening. Such a design provides nearly silent opening/closure of the leaves. The frame also functions as the thresholds providing necessary level of leakproofness.
This model has ingenious tubular handle which size equals the leaf width. The handle is attached in parallel with the floor approximately in the middle of the door height. One can open the door easily and without any effort.
- Hardware color variety.
- Glass option: clear or translucent.
- High level of leakproofness.
- Someway complicated installation.
5. KOHLER Levity Bypass Shower Door with Crystal Clear Glass in Matte Nickel
This is simply nondimensional sliding door. Its minimalist design and clear tempered glass make this floor attractive for those who prefer austerity of forms.
The leaf is moving along the top rail which is rigidly attached to the couple of vertical guiderails fixed in the wall. Innovative roller system provides smooth and quiet sliding. The door is designed in such a way that you can move both leaves and approach the shower from any side.
Frameless construction of the shower door reduces the number of the cavities which in its turn reduces amount of dirt. So the cleanup will be easier. At that when handling glass one should use special solution to prevent water spots.
There are two variants of handles installation as they may be fixed either vertically or horizontally. The second variant may be used as a towel bar.
Such a door which is not overloaded by the needless parts creates quite an attractive view of a bathroom.
- Maintenance simplicity.
- Both leaves may be opened.
- Possible water leakage underneath.
6. DreamLine Prime Shower Enclosure
Sliding shower doors DreamLine Prime are designed for a small bathroom. The shower cabin is installed on the corner of the bathroom, and the sliding door system significantly saves space.
Frameless sliding shower door is made of durable anodized aluminum with glass of ¼ inches thickness.
The movement of the doors takes place along the guide rails; the closure is carried out by magnets, providing a snug fit of the valves.
The complete set DreamLine includes an acrylic pallet; handles and other elements are furnished with chromium, why this model looks modern and stylish.
The pallet is resistant to scratches, stains, has an anti-slip texture.
- Ideal for small spaces.
- Quality certified tempered glass of ¼ inches thickness.
- Anodized aluminum wall profiles allow up to 1 in. adjustment per side.
- Glossy acrylic surface of the pallet is resistant to scratches and stains.
- Drain opening fits any standard 2 in. compression fitted drain.
- Drain not included.
7. VIGO Elan Frameless Sliding Shower Door with Clear Glass and Chrome Hardware
A frameless sliding shower door VIGO Elan with a glass sliding panel will provide the most modern design for the bathroom. This modern shower door combines a sleek frameless design with transparent tempered glass of the highest quality.
The shower door is made of high-quality tempered glass of ¾ inches thickness and stainless steel furniture, has an original sliding system with round roller discs and a large door handle. The furniture for the shower cabin is made of stainless steel and covered with seven layers of chromium.
Metal parts of VIGO Elan are made of stainless steel and will not rust, spall or scratch in the entire useful life of the door.
Specially designed rollers make the door closing smooth and easy, and the upper rail also serves as a support of the whole construction, which provides and increases the stability of the shower cabin.
Transparent sealing tapes along the glass remain the water-resistant of the door and prevent leakage.
VIGO Elan shower doors are adjustable as time passes. Flex-sizing Technology provides up to 4 inches of horizontal adjustability, while SmartAdjust Technology allows for up to 13mm of adjustability.
The model can be installed for opening on the left or right side.
- All hardware required for installation of shower door is included.
- Out-of-plumb adjustment up to 2 inches on each side of the door makes for an easy installation.
- Anodized aluminum wall profiles allow up to 1 in. adjustment per side.
- A frameless design gives a modern, sleek look to the shower.
- There is a shower door only – a shower base and wall may be required to complete unit.
8. DreamLine Enigma-X Fully Frameless Sliding Shower Door in Brushed Stainless Steel
DreamLine Enigma-X is a high-quality shower door, which will please with its appearance for a long time. This shower door will bring style and elegance to your bathroom; you will not feel like in a closer space. The door’s construction is completely frameless – it will give you a sense of freedom and spaciousness.
You can be sure that using this model, you and your family will be safe, as DreamLine Enigma-X is made of durable glass. The 3/8 inches thick glass is absolutely safe to use, as it is tempered and certified.
This model of shower door has not an adjustment in width for uneven walls, so you should carefully check the geometry of the shower opening before making a purchase.
DreamLine Enigma-X is easy to clean. The protective coating of the glass ClearMax guarantees that no dirt remains on the surface.
Thanks to the steel rail and wheels, the glass sheet glides smoothly along the guide, without creating difficulties when opening and closing the door.
- Exclusive ClearMax water repellent and stain resistant coating.
- Optional SlimLine shower base available (sold separately).
- Professional installation is required.
- This model has NO adjustment for out-of-plumb (uneven walls).
Best Frameless Sliding Shower Doors
Each manufacturer tries to make its product attractive and qualitative as much as possible. That is why all the reviewed doors have many advantages and their deficiencies are fairly dispensable.
Shower doors are used in high humidity conditions that’s why the application of the up-to-date antirust materials in production significantly increases service life of the products. Clear (or translucent) glass door panels not merely look nice but also considerably reliable as they are made of tempered glass. Such panels are easy to care for and damage resistant.
Sliding systems used to open leaves are very handy and save space drastically. They are also easy to install and use. In order to extend the operating life of these systems one should regularly clean them up and timely replace worn-out parts. Dimensions of the majority of the models can be adjusted by undercutting horizontal guiding frames. But you won’t be able to change the sizes of the glass. So be careful when making measurements.
It is very difficult to choose some uniquely prominent leader as all the shower doors described above ultimately correspond the price-quality trade-off.
That is why when choosing the appropriate model one should be guided by his (or her) own taste and by the opening size. But every model will suit both spacious bathroom having separate shower section and small one where shower section is rather limited.
Questions and Answers
Are Frameless Shower Doors Easy to Clean?
Yes. Frameless shower doors are easier to clean than standard doors. They are less prone to mold and mildew.
Are Frameless Shower Doors Safe?
Almost all of the frameless shower doors are made of tempered glass. Tempered glass is about 5-10 times stronger than regular ones. So it is hard to hard to break it. Glass is treated to avoid or reduce injury, should it break. If you go with thicker glass doors 3/8″ or higher, the risk if further reduced.
How Much Frameless Shower Doors Leak?
Properly done, frameless shower doors will not leak. Sliding doors are better in preventing leaks than with hinges. Hinged doors may leave gap between door and rest of the doors.
This is why it is important to rely on professional help while installing these shower doors.
How to Seal Framless Shower Door Leaks?
Silicone caulking is the best choice while sealing frameless shower doors. They do no shrink and drying and is water resistant. Silicone caulking may be used to fill the gap between the doors.
How Much They Cost?
It is more expensive than framed doors. The bottom price tag is low $300 and it can go up to thousands.
How to install a frameless sliding shower door?
- Measure the width of aperture for the door.
- Determine the model and buy a suitable shower door. Make sure that the hardware kit is supplied with the door or buy it separately.
- Mark with the marker on the floor and walls where the shower door guides will be located. And also mark on the tile where the apertures in the guide rail are.
- Drill the holes in the locations marked with the marker for apertures. Install dowels in the holes.
- Apply silicone sealant on the marked lines for hermetically sealing of the connection of the shower cabin with the walls and floor.
- Attach the guide rails to the floor and walls; finely press them into the sealant.
- Screw with bolts the bottom and side guides into the drilled holes.
- Depending on the construction, install the top rail.
- Next you can mount the glass into the rails and/or the top rail.
- Make sure that the glass is securely fastened on the guide rail and/or on the top rail with the rollers, and that the door moves easily when opening or closing.
Before installing the sliding shower doors, you must definitely read the instruction and follow its directions!
Installing sliding shower doors must be performed only by one who is competent enough for this. If you do not feel secure enough to do it yourself, you should invite a specialist.