- Choosing a Bicycle Helmet for a Kid
- What is a Bicycle Helmet?
- Criteria for Choosing a Bicycle Helmet
- Top-5 best rated Bicycle Helmets for Kids 2019-2020
- Best Bicycle Helmet for Kids – Features and Characteristics
- 1. Joovy Noodle Helmet
- 2. Razor V-17 Child Multi-sport Helmet
- 3. Nutcase – Little Nutty Street Bike Helmet
- 4. Giro Me2 Infant/Best Toddler Bike Helmet
- 5. ADMIRE Kids Skateboard Skate Scooter Cycling Bike Helmet
- Best Kids’ Bike Helmets
- Questions and Answers
Choosing a Bicycle Helmet for a Kid
Kids bicycle helmet is the kind of accessory that people purchase immediately after purchasing bicycle. Studies show that helmet prevents head injuries in 80% of cases. Therefore, the purchase of this accessory should never be delayed for a later time. Especially if we talk about kid’s safety!
What is a Bicycle Helmet?
Bicycle helmet is usually composed of the following components:
- Padding is the inner liner of the helmet, it absorbs the energy generated by the impact. It is usually made of foam. When purchasing the helmet, make sure that the lining has no surface damage. The helmet should comfortably fit your head.
- Outer shell – plastic or polycarbonate frame, which performs a number of important functions: ensures the strength and integrity of the helmet at the moment of impact, protects against punctures, deformations.
- Vents – they are required to cool the head and provide comfort.
- Straps, ratchets – the system of fastenings, which keep the helmet on the head.
Criteria for Choosing a Bicycle Helmet
When choosing kids bicycle helmet, you might probably be confused by the spread of prices for this accessory. The difference in the prices for various models is explained by the following characteristics:
- Weight. The weight of the helmet should be optimal for the kids; the helmet should not be too heavy and distract attention from the ride. The optimum weight of the helmet should be up to 0.7 pounds.
- Ventilation holes. The more ventilation holes you have, the more comfortable your kid’s ride will be. Kid’s head should not sweat – it should be ventilated and dry. However, the holes should not affect the strength of the helmet. The helmet has to be strong.
- Strapping and fixing system. When buying a helmet, make sure to choose a model that has two “Y”-shaped straps and a ratchet on the occipital part.
- Protective mesh. Some helmets are equipped with a protective mesh which protects the face from insects. This mesh will provide extra comfort during ride.
- Additional elements. For example, this can be a sun visor that will protect not only from the bright sun, but from falling leaves, rain; this can also be some light-reflecting elements, which contribute to improving the safety of driving in the dark.
- The size. Make sure you measure your kid’s head circumference before buying the helmet. Count 1 inch upwards from your kid’s eyes – this will be the area where the measurements need to be done. The helmet should not squeeze the head or be too loose.
If your kid rides on a bicycle with you, then make sure you buy him a helmet. Regardless of age, the child must wear a helmet even for a short trip. Little children usually do not realize the danger and can easily fall off the bike.
As parents, you must do everything possible to protect your child. And first of all it concerns the choice of a bicycle helmet for your kid. The easiest way to make your child wear a helmet is to buy a light and attractive accessory.
Top-5 best rated Bicycle Helmets for Kids 2019-2020
- Joovy Noodle Helmet.
- Razor V-17 Child Multi-sport Helmet.
- Nutcase – Little Nutty Street Bike Helmet, Fits Your Head, Suits Your Soul.
- Giro Me2 Infant/Toddler Bike Helmet.
- ADMIRE Kids Skateboard Skate Scooter Cycling Bike Helmet.
Best Bicycle Helmet for Kids – Features and Characteristics
|Picture||Product name||Main characteristics||Price on Amazon|
|Joovy Noodle Helmet||Check Price|
|Razor V-17 Child Multi-sport Helmet||Check Price|
|Nutcase – Little Nutty Street Bike Helmet, Fits Your Head, Suits Your Soul||Check Price|
|Giro Me2 Infant/Toddler Bike Helmet||Check Price|
|ADMIRE Kids Skateboard Skate Scooter Cycling Bike Helmet||Check Price|
1. Joovy Noodle Helmet
Stylish and modern Joovy Noodle helmet is designed for children with a head size of 18.5 to 20.5 inches. This model has a convenient adjustment system, a built-in sun visor and a lower profile that enhances the protection of your child.
The helmet is available in several different colors, which is suitable for boys and girls.
The Joovy Noodle features 14 air vents, integrated bug mesh in the front vents, extended visor for maximum protection, nylon straps, pinch guard chin strap, and an adjustable fit dial.
- For children 1 – 4 years old with a head size between 18.5 – 20.5 in.
- 14 air vents with integrated bug mesh in the front vents.
- Extended visor for maximum protection, nylon straps, pinch guard chin strap.
- Adjustable fit dial.
- Meets CPSC Standards.
- Available in various colors.
2. Razor V-17 Child Multi-sport Helmet
According to the safety certificate, Bell Fraction is suitable for both riding a bicycle and roller-skating. If your child enjoys roller-skating or riding a bicycle in the park, then this helmet can be a good choice since it is an ideal option for practicing these sports. The helmet is designed in a modern style – it suitable for 5-8 year old kids and complies with CPSC standards.
Additional inner liners guarantee maximum comfort for any shape of head. 17 vents always cool the head, and the side buckles make it easy to adjust and fasten the strap at the chin.
- Cutting-edge children’s safety helmet for biking, skating, and more.
- Ergonomic interior padding is comfortable and secure.
- 17 top and side vents help rider keep a cool head on hot days.
- Side release buckles adjust and fasten quickly; sleek black gloss color.
- Fits head sizes 21.5 to 22 inches; for ages 5 to 8; complies with CPSC standards.
3. Nutcase – Little Nutty Street Bike Helmet
Little Nutty is a stylish helmet that your small bicyclist will certainly like. In order to enhance protection and safety, the helmet covers the head as much as possible, and it is also equipped with a removable visor which protects from the bright sun or rain.
Fidlock magnetic adjustment system enables to adjust the fit of the helmet and tighten the strap with one hand.
Stylish color design and nice drawings will be suitable for both boys and girls.
Little Nutty helmet is equipped with a strong ABS shell and a protective inner part made of EPS. The helmet comes with an extra set of inner liners for heads of any shape and size.
- Original design and a large selection of drawings.
- Certified for cycling, roller-skating and skateboarding.
- A set of inner liners for individual fit according to the size and shape of the head.
- Fidlock magnetic buckle can be easily opened and closed.
- 11 air vents for maximum airflow.
4. Giro Me2 Infant/Best Toddler Bike Helmet
Stylish and functional Giro Me2 Infant helmet for kids has an extended rear profile, which helps to increase the protection.
Mini-Loc fit system enables to accurately adjust the way the helmet sits on the head. It has a bug net which protects from insects. A distinctive feature of this model is a buckle that protects the child’s skin from accidental pinching. Stylish color design and nice drawings are suitable for both boys and girls. Giro Me2 Infant is a reliable helmet that guarantees a high degree of protection for your kid.
- Easy, fun and designed with little ones in mind.
- Mini Loc Fit System.
- Microshell with built-in bug net construction.
- 6 vents to keep little heads cool.
- Built-in visor and pinch-proof buckle.
5. ADMIRE Kids Skateboard Skate Scooter Cycling Bike Helmet
Stylish and highly functional ADMIRE helmet for kids looks similar to the adult model but has some differences. All-round fitting system is specially designed for a small head size. Cast shell improves strength and reduces the weight of the helmet.
The helmet is suitable for 3-10 years old kids. The helmet comes with additional protection: for elbows, for knees, and for hands.
The ADMIRE model has nine vents that protect the kid from overheating in a hot weather.
- Made of high-strength plastic.
- Additional protection for elbows, knees, hands.
- Buckles and helmet straps prevent accidental pinching of the skin.
- Magnificent ventilation protects your kid from overheating in a hot weather.
Best Kids’ Bike Helmets
Bicycle helmet is a must-have accessory for cycling safety. Riding without a helmet is very dangerous, so buying a quality helmet will preserve your kid’s health.
Remember: the helmet must withstand the fall on a hard surface from the height of a raised arm. Buckles on helmet straps should work faultlessly. The helmet must have ventilation holes. Bright color of the bicycle helmet attracts attention and provides extra security.
Helmet (as well as hand guards, knee pads and elbow pads) is a necessary piece of equipment for riding a bicycle, roller skates, skate or scooter. You should responsibly address the issue of buying a helmet for your kid since it is a matter of health and safety.
All helmets presented in this review have proved to be reliable, but we can single out two models with the best results.
The first one is Nutcase Little Nutty. Nutcase is known as the manufacturer of the coolest bicycle helmets for adults and children. This model meets all safety standards and is designed for kids aged one year and older.
The second model is ADMIRE Kids Bike Helmet. This helmet also meets all safety requirements, but its advantage over the Nutcase Little Nutty is its lower price and the fact that the helmet is complemented by handhelds, knee pads and elbow pads.
These models look different, so you will need to rely on your own personal preferences when choosing the right design.
And do not delay the purchase – protect your kid right now!
Questions and Answers
Is It Necessary to Use a Helmet?
Yes. You should always wear a helmet before riding. Collisions or falls, regardless of the level and style of riding, can happen to everyone, so the helmet is a very important safety element and can prevent serious consequences of injuries or can even save lives.
How to Choose the Right Size of a Helmet?
The helmet should sit on the head evenly and tightly, there should not be any loose space. It should reliably cover both the upper part of the forehead (a couple of inches above the eyebrows) and the neck. The helmet should take a hit in case the rider falls down. The strap of the helmet should not be tightened too much (the head should rotate freely without any discomfort) and not too loose (the strap should be firmly fixed on the chin). To make sure that the helmet sits well enough, you need to turn the head from left to right and then turn up and down: neither the helmet nor the strap should sag or not let the head move freely.
How to Fit the Helmet on the Head Correctly?
The helmet should be fit the way your kid does not feel any discomfort.
A helmet that sits too loose loses its protection effectiveness and can cause serious injury when falling or colliding. On the contrary, a tightly fitted helmet can impede the cyclist’s breathing and also cause serious injuries and discomfort during ride.